06 November 2020 Current Affairs
Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020 – Declared by President Ram Nath Kovind
President of India shri, Ram Nath Kovind approved the Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020 to further amend Arbitration and Conciliation Act 1996.
- The main objective of this ordinance is to ensure that all the stakeholders get an opportunity to seek unconditional stay of enforcement of arbitral awards where the underlying arbitration agreement or contract or making of the arbitral award are induced by fraud or corruption.
Central Government constituted committee review guidelines on television ratings
The Indian Government has formed a committee to review the guidelines on television rating agencies in India. The panel will submit its report to the Information and Broadcasting minister, Prakash Javadekar.
- The committee will be chaired by Prasar Bharati CEO, Shashi S Vempati.
- The committee is responsible to make necessary recommendations for a transparent rating system.
- Chairman: Punit Goenka
- Founded: 2010
- Headquarters: Mumbai
First Ever India-Nordic-Baltic Conclave held virtually by Union External Affairs Minister
India’s First Ever India-Nordic-Baltic Conclave was held virtually through online mode. India was represented by External Affairs Minister S Jai Shankar.
- The Conclave was jointly hosted by Ministry of External Affairs and Confederation of the Indian Industry.
- Nordic nations are a group of five countries in Northern Europe which are Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland, meanwhile Baltic countries are three countries–Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania who share a coastline with Baltic sea.
5th Joint Working Group on Coal between India and Indonesia held virtually
India hosted 5th Joint Working Group (JWG) on Coal between India and Indonesia virtually through video conference owing to COVID19 situation. Indian side was represented by Vinod Kumar Tiwari, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Coal and Indonesian side was represented by Jonson Pakpahan, Director for Mineral and Coal.
- President: Joko Widodo
- Capital: Jakarta
- Currency: Indonesian rupiah
United States formally withdraws Paris Climate Change Pact to control climate change
The United States of America (USA) became the first country to formally exit the Paris climate agreement. The agreement came into force on November 4, 2016 and 189 countries have adopted it.
- The landmark Paris climate agreement was signed in 2015 to protect the planet from the worsening impacts of the climate crisis.
- The agreement’s key aims limit the temperature increase to 1.5 degree Celsius.
Agreements & MoU
Bangladesh inked MoU with Serum Institute of India for 30 million doses of COVID-19 Vaccine
The Bangladesh Government have signed an MoU with the Serum Institute of India for delivery of 30 million COVID-19 vaccine named COVISHIELD doses to Bangladesh.
- The Covid-19 vaccine candidate is being developed by the University of Oxford in collaboration with AstraZeneca and the Serum Institute of India (SII).
- According to the MoU, initially 1.5 crore people will be vaccinated and each person would be given two doses.
Karnataka State Government signed MoU with Tata Technologies to improve 150 ITIs
The State Government of Karnataka has signed an MoU with Tata Technologies to improve 150 Government it is. The cost of this project estimated at 4,636.50 crore rupees. As per this MoU the ITIs being upgraded will be able to provide Industry 4.0 based training that will fetch better employment opportunities to the ITI skilled students.
- In addition to Tata Technologies, about 20 other companies are contributing 4,080 crore rupees from their CSR funds for this programme.
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yediyurappa
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
John Pombe Magufuli designated as President of Tanzania
Tanzania President, John Pombe Magufuli has been sworn for a second five-year term. He will serve as president from 2021 to 2025. The second position is secured by Tundu Lissu of CHADEMA party.
- Magufuli won 84% of the total votes in Presidential Elections.
- Capital: Dodoma
- Currency: Tanzanian shilling.
SBI Card collaborates with Paytm and Visa to initiate Co-Branded Credit Cards
SBI Cards and Payment Services partnered with Visa and digital payment platform Paytm for launching Co-Branded Credit Cards in 2 Variants. The Product has been launched on the Visa Platform.
- Paytm SBI Card
- Paytm SBI Card Select
The card has multiple new features, cardholders will be able to block or unblock the card through a single click on both the Paytm app as well as the SBI Card app.
- CEO: Vijay Shekhar Sharma
- Headquarters: Noida, UP
About SBI Cards:
- MD & CEO: Ashwini Kumar Tewari
- Headquarters: Gurgaon, Haryana
IFFCO Bazar partners with SBI YONO Krishi App to uplift accessibility of Quality Agri-products in India
IFFCO Bazar, an e-commerce arm of IFFCO has partnered with SBI YONO Krishi App to boost the accessibility of Quality Agri-products in India.
- The main aim of this partnership is to assure that a wide variety of agricultural products are made accessible to lakhs of Indian Farmers.
Summits & Conference
40th SAARC Central Bank Governors Meet – Chaired by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das
40th SAARC Central Bank Governors Meet was chaired by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Shaktikanta Das and other central bank governors. This Governor’s Group was held virtually through video conferencing.
- Mr Das also inaugurated the SAARCFINANCE Sync, a closed user group secure communication network.
About SAARC FINANCE:
Science & Technology
Earth Observation Satellite EOS01 – To be launched by ISRO on November 07
The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)is all set to launch Earth Observation Satellite EOS01 on November 07. The mission will be performed at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota in southern Andhra Pradesh.
- Additionally, Nine other customer satellites will also be carried into space by the workhorse launch vehicle PSLV-C49.
- The earth observation satellite EOS-01 is intended for applications in agriculture, forestry and disaster management support.
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
US initiates Joint Naval Exercise ‘CARAT Bangladesh 2020’ with Bangladesh
United States (US) and Bangladesh Navies jointly launched the ‘CARAT (Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training) Bangladesh 2020’. The main aim of this naval exercise is to expand relationships and broaden maritime awareness between the two countries.
- It began on 4 November 2020 in Bay of Bengal.
- Bangladesh marks the second CARAT exercise in 2020, following CARAT Brunei in the South China Sea.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Bangladeshi taka
Manoj Mukund Navarne Conferred with rank of “General of Nepal Army” by Nepal President
Chief General of the Indian Army has conferred with the honorary rank of “General of Nepal Army” by Nepal President Bidya Devi Bhandari. Nepal give this honorary rank to the army chief of other countries from 1950.
- Prior to this, the Nepali Army Chief Chandra Thapa was conferred with similar rank by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- The Commander in Chief Cariappa was the first Indian Army Chief to receive the honorary title in 1950.
About Indian Army:
- Chief of Defence Staff (CDS): General Bipin Rawat
- Headquarters: New Delhi
International Day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict is observed on November 06
Every year International Day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict is observed on November 06. This day raise awareness about damaging natural environments on war and discuss ways to limit environmental destruction caused by armed conflict.
- This day was proclaimed by United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) and it was first observed on 2001.