10th November 2020 Current Affairs
Central Government renames Ministry of Shipping as Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Announced by PM Modi
Prime Minister of India made the announcement of Renaming of Ministry of Shipping as Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways.
- This announcement was made during the inaugural event of event of Ropax ferry service between Ghogha (Bhavnagar) and Hazira (near Surat) in Gujarat.
- It will reduce the nearly 370 km road distance between the two places to 90 km by sea route.
About Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways:
- Union Minister: Mansukh L. Mandaviya
- Constituency: Rajya Sabha (Gujarat)
FASTags made compulsory, from 1st January 2021 for all four wheelers
Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has ordered FASTags has released order making FASTags mandatory for all four wheel vehicles including old vehicles from 1st January 2021.
- The Central Government has been promulgated Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, the FASTag had been made mandatory for all registration of new four wheeled Vehicles since 1st December 2017.
- FASTag is an electronic toll collection system in India, operated by the National Highway Authority of India.
About Ministry of Road Transport and Highways;
- Union Minister: Nitin Gadkari
- Minister of State: V.K. Singh
Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri inaugurated 13th Urban Mobility India Conference
Union Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs, Hardeep Singh Puri inaugurated 13th Urban Mobility India Conference on Emerging Trends in Urban Mobility.
- The conference focused onthe innovative measures taken at the international and national levels in order to address the challenges posed by the COVID19 situation to provide convenient and accessible transport to the people.
NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission And Sirius initiate ‘AIM-Sirius Innovation Programme 3.0’
Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) of NITI Aayog and Sirius, Russia, unveiled ‘AIM-Sirius Innovation Programme 3.0’- a 14-day virtual programme for Indian and Russian schoolchildren.
- This two week programme is being hels from 7-21 November 2020.
- The main objective of AIM-Sirius programme is to develop technological solutions (both web- and mobile-based) for the two countries.
8th Corps Commander-level talks was held between India and China at Chushul
The Eighth round of India-China Corps Commander Level Meeting was held in Chushul. During the meeting ensure their frontline troops to exercise restraint and avoid misunderstanding and miscalculation.
- The two sides also agreed to maintain dialogue and communication through military and diplomatic channels.
- President: Xi Jinping
- Capital: Beijing
- Currency: Renminbi
US President Joe Biden constituted task force for COVID-19, Co-Chaired by former Surgeon General Vivek Murthy
United States President Joe Biden declared that he will constituted task force to tackle COVID-19. The Task Force will be co-chaired by former Surgeon General Vivek Murthy.
- Vivek Murthy was also earlier appointed as the Surgeon General under the presidency of Barack Obama.
- The other members of Task Force are Food and Drug Administration Commissioner David Kessler and Marcella Nunez-Smith, a professor of public health at Yale University.
About United States:
- President: Joe Biden
- Capital: Washington, D.C.
- Currency: US Dollar
Uttarakhand celebrated its statehood day on November 09
Uttarakhand State Government has celebrated its statehood day or Uttarakhand Divas on November 09. It was formed on this day in 2000 after bifurcating it from Uttar Pradesh.
- Then President of India, K. R. Narayanan approved the Uttar Pradesh Reorganisation Bill, on 28 August 2000, and then it turned into Act and on 9 November 2000 the new state Uttaranchal came into existence as the 27th state of India now known as Uttarakhand.
Trivendra Singh Rawat inagurated Country’s Longest Motorable Suspension Bridge in Uttarakhand
Uttarakhand, chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated the country’s longest single-lane bridge, Dobra-Chanti. This 725 metre long bridge in Tehri-Garhwal district.
- The bridge connect Pratab Nagar toen with Tehri Garhwal district headquarters.
- Union Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat
- Governor: Baby Rani Maurya
15th Finance Commission led by N.K. Singh submit its report to President Ram Nath Kovind
NK Singh headed 15th Finance Commission submitted its report to President Ram Nath Kovind for the five fiscal years from 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- The Finance Commission will also present a copy of the Report to the Prime Minister.
- The other members of the commission include Ajay Narayan Jha, Prof. Anoop Singh, Dr. Ashok Lahiri and Dr. Ramesh Chand.
- The Commission has recommended that the states shall get 41% from earlier 42% of central tax revenues.
- The commission has also states the states to keep aside at least 8% of their budget for building health care capacities.
- 3 lakh crores for the local governments
Bollywood Actress Vidya Balan’s short film ‘Natkhat’ acquires eligibility for Oscar nomination
Vidya Balan’s short film ‘Natkhat’ becomes for Oscar nomination after winning the top prize at the third edition of Best of India Short Film Festival 2020.
- The film has been directed by Shaan Vyas and co-produced by Ronnie Screwvala and Vidya Balan.
- The film also received a prize money of 2,500 dollars and an opportunity for a television broadcast deal on ShortsTV.
Rankings & Reports
RBI Report: Uttar Pradesh secures First Place in MSME Employment generator during COVID19 situation
As per the RBI Report, Uttar Pradesh has secures top spot among five states in the country that give Employment under MSME during COVID19 Pandemic.
- The state government also signed MoUs with various industries for creation of 11 Lakh jobs within a year.
The top 5 states are
- Madhya Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
About Uttar Pradesh:
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
Summits and Conference
Union External Affairs Minister chairs 4th India- Philippines Joint Commission on Bilateral Cooperation
Union Minister for External Affair S Jaishankar chaired the 4th India- Philippines Joint Commission on Bilateral Cooperation virtually through video conferencing.
- The Philippines Side was represented by Teodoro Locsin Jr, Secretary, Department of Foreign Affairs.
- Both nations agreed to make the defence engagement and maritime cooperation and to counter-terrorism.
- They also agreed to boost cooperation in the areas of tourism, agriculture, energy, health and pharmaceuticals.
- President: Rodrigo Duterte
- Capital: Manila
Daniil Medvedev wins Paris Master 2020, defeats Alexander Zverev.
Paris Master 2020 Title won by Daniil Medvedev (Russia). He defeated Alexander Zverev (Germany). Medvedev is the fourth Russian to win the Paris Masters.
- Medvedev has now won eight ATP titles. Earlier this Paris Master 2020 was won by Marat Safin Nikolay Davydenko and Karen Khachanov who are all belong to Russia.
Noted Flim Maker Sudarshan Rattan Passes away
Popular Bollywood filmmaker Sudarshan Rattan passed away due to COVID19. He has also had also written, directed and produced the 1996 action drama film Hahakaar.
- He was well known for his 1986 film Manav Hatya,starring Madhuri Dixit and Shekhar Suman.
National Legal Services Day is observed on 09 November
Every year National Legal Services Day is celebrated on 09 November. This day is observed to remember the enactment of the Legal Services Authorities Act 1987.
- The main aim of this day is to raise awareness of the various provisions under the Legal Services Authorities Act and the right of the litigants.
World Science Day for Peace and Development is celebrated on November 10
World Science Day for Peace and Development celebrated on November 10 Every year. The aim of this day is to give awareness about the role of science in society.
- The focus of World Science Day 2020 is on “Science for and with Society in dealing with the global pandemic.”