PM Modi unveils life-size statue of Swami Vivekananda at JNU campus through video conferencing
Prime Minister of India Shri, Narendra Modi will unveil the life-size statue of Swami Vivekananda at Jawaharlal Nehru University campus Virtually through Video Conferencing.
- Minister for Education Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank will co-chair the occasion.
- The unveiling of the statue will be preceded by a programme on Swami Vivekananda.
- Vice-Chancellor: Mamidala Jagadesh Kumar
- Chancellor: V.K.Saraswat
Australia India Water Centre inaugurated in Guwahati
India Australia water centre was inaugurated virtually in Guwahati, Assam inaugurated through webinar.
- This Australia India water centre will enable the cooperation between the two countries in the water sector and explore opportunities.
- Dan Tehan, Education Minister of Australia and Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Jal Shakti Minister of India was chaired the occasion virtually.
- The Water Centre is headed by IIT Guwahati from Indian side and University of Western Sydney from the Australian side. Ministry of Power issues order to All DISCOMS to comply Energy Conservation Act, 2001
The Ministry of Power released notification to all Electricity Distribution Companies (DISCOMs) to comply Energy Conservation (EC) Act, 2001 to reduce electricity losses and bring transparency. This notification was prepared in in consultation with Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE).
- According to the new notification, all entities having issued distribution licenses under the Electricity Act, 2003, are notified as designated consumers.
- As per the Power Ministry Data, now DISCOMs covered under the Energy Conservation Act will increase from 44 to 102.
Nepal President releases Special Anthology to mark the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi
Nepal President Bidya Devi Bhandari has unveiled the special pictorial anthology on Mahatma Gandhi to mark the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The anthology named Maile Bujheko Gandhi or the Gandhi as I understood, was released at a special function at Rashtrapati Bhawan in Kathmandu. This event was accompanied by Ambassador of India to Nepal, Vinay Mohan Kwatra.
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Prime minister: K. P. Sharma Oli
- President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
NGT imposes total ban sale & use of firecrackers in Delhi
National Green Tribunal (NGT) has imposed total ban on sale & use of firecrackers in National Capital Region. The ban shall come into effect from the midnight of November 9 and stay till November 30.
- Amid worsening of the Air Quality Index (AQI) in Delhi, the National Green Tribunal imposed this ban in Delhi.
- The NGT also instructed States and Union Territories to launch special drives to contain air pollution from all sources in view of the potential of aggravation of COVID-19.
Summits & Conference
SCO Summit – Indian Side led by PM Modi
20th Shanghai Cooperation Organization summit was held virtually. The summit was chaired by the Russian President Vladimir Putin. Indian side was represented by PM Narendra Modi since 2017.India was an observer of SCO from 2005.
- Other countries participated in the summit were Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
- During the summit, discussions were held on COVID 19, Digital Economy, 75th anniversary of world war 2, and controlling the spread of terrorism.
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Founded on: 2001
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman attends First BRICS Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors Meeting
Union Minister for Finance attended the First BRICS Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors Meeting, which is under Chairmanship of Russia.
- On this meeting, discussions were held on infrastructure investments and New Development Bank membership expansion.
- BRICS Countries: Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
- Founded: June 2006
Jal Shakti Ministry to conduct Second National water Awards on 11 & 12 November 2020
Water Resources Department under Union Ministry for Jal Shakti organized the Second National water Awards on 11 & 12 November 2020.
- The main objective for distributing these awards is to motivate individuals or organizations who are doing good work in the field of water resources conservation and management.
- The National Water Awards 2019 was launched in September, 2019 through MyGov portal and CGWB email.
- A total of 98 winnerswere selectedin 16 different categories
About Jal Shakti Ministry:
- Union Minister: Gajendra Singh Shekhawat
MoUs and Agreements
India and Maldives sign Four Agreement – includes cooperation in sports and youth affairs
India and Maldives have signed four Agreements during the visit of India’s Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla Harsh Vardhan Shringla was on a 2-day visit to Maldives.
- The four Agreements were signed for cooperation in sports and youth affairs; connectivity project, setting of plant and soil testing labs.
The Four Agreements are as follows:
- Grant of $100 million by India for the Greater Male Connectivity Project (GMCP)
- To set up a plant and soil testing laboratory with a grant of 1.71 million Maldivian rufiyaas
- Establishment of a drug detox facility with another grant of 7.7 million Maldivian rufiyaas.
- To increase cooperation in the field of sports and youth affairs between both the countries.
- Capital: Male
- Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa
Former chief secretary MM Kutty designated as chairperson of CAQM
As per the Environment Ministry Notification, M.M. Kutty, Former Chief Secretary of Delhi, was designated as the chairperson of Commission for Air Quality Management(CAQM) in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas.
- Other full-time members of the board are Mukesh Khare of IIT-Delhi and Ramesh K.J., Ex-Director General, India Meteorological Department (IMD) and A.K. Nautiyal, joint secretary in the Ministry.
Petronet LNG to be headed by Indian Oil Corp director A K Singh, He succeeds Prabhat Singh
Indian Oil Corp (IOC) director-pipelines Akshay Kumar Singh will be appointed as managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) Petronet LNG Ltd. He will succeeded Prabhat Singh.
- Singh was also served as an executive director in GAIL before joining the IndianOil board in 2018.
Union Minister Rajnath Singh launches Anti-Satellite Missile Model at DRDO Bhawan
Union Minister for Defence shri, Rajnath Singh launched A model of Anti-Satellite Missile (A-SAT) in DRDO Bhawan.
- Mission Shakti was the country’s first ever A-SAT missile test successfully conducted on March 27, 2019 from Dr AP J Abdul Kalam Island in Odisha.
- Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari and DRDO Chairman G Satheesh Reddy were also presented on the occasion.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: G Satheesh Reddy
Science & Technology
Thirty Meter Telescope Project – Indian Astronomers joins with 2020 Nobel Physics Nobel Laureate Prof. Andrea Ghez
The Indian Astronomers have joined with 2020 Physics Nobel Laureate Prof Andrea Ghez on the “Thirty Meter Telescope Project”. It is an international partnership project between India, China, Japan, California and Canada.
- The Project is planned to be installed at Maunakea on the island of Hawaii.
- Indian astronomers who take part in this project are Dr. Annapurni Subramanium, Director of the Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA) and Dr. Shashi Bhushan Pandey, a scientist at Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES).
Sports Ministry approves Six Khelo India Centre of Excellence in the Country to create healthy sports ecosystem
Union Sports Ministry approved new Khelo India Centre of Excellence in six states of India. The main of this centre of excellence initiative is to boost sports activities in India. The ministry has announced Rs 64 crore financial support to upgrade this Six Khelo India Centres.
- Under this programme, Each State and UT will given financial support for maximum three sports and Each Khelo India Centre will be given support for 14 Olympic sports.
The Six states are:
- Daman & Diu
- Madhya Pradesh
Former Chief Minister of Sikkim Sanchaman Limboo Passes away
Sanchaman Limboo, who served as Sikkim’s CM from 17 June 1994 to 12 December 1994 has passed away.
- He was the member of Sikkim Sangram Parishad Party and was the fourth CM of Sikkim.
- He was born on January 15, 1947 in West Sikkim District, Sikkim.
National Education Day is celebrated on November 11
National Education Day is observed every year on November 11, to remember the birth anniversary of India’s First Education Minister Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad served the country from 1947 to 1958 as the first minister of Education in Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s cabinet.