1st & 2nd November 2020 Current Affairs
National Jal Jeevan Mission to hold Conference of State Ministers for Rural Water Supply on November 03
National Jal Jeevan Mission which is a central government initiative under the Ministry of Jal Shakti, has planned to conduct of State Ministers for Rural Water Supply on November 03 Virtually through Video Conferencing.
- The meeting will be chaired by the Union Minister of Jal Shakti, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat.
- During the minister, Jal Shakti Minister will be interacting with the state/UT ministers on planning and implementation of the Jal Jeevan Mission along with an emphasis on the 100-day campaign.
About Jal Shakti Ministry:
- Union Minister: Gajendra Singh Shekhawat
- Minister of State: Rattan Lal Kataria
DST unveils SERB-POWER schemes to boost women scientists & researchers in science and engineering
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan has initiated the ‘SERB – POWER’ schemes which aim to encourage and support emerging as well as eminent women researchers to handle R&D initiatives in the field of science and engineering.
- SERB-POWER stands for Science and Engineering Research Board – Promoting Opportunities for Women in Exploratory Research.
The scheme has been launched to provide two categories of research support there are:
- SERB – POWER Fellowship
- SERB – POWER Research Grants
Invest India has collaborated with AYUSH Ministry to set up “Strategic Policy and Facilitation Bureau”
Invest India which is the National Investment Promotion and Facilitation Agency has partnered with AYUSH Ministry to ease systematic growth of AYUSH sector.
The Bureau will support in making initiatives under the ministry to its full potential. Also, it will help to initiate the growth and investment of the AYUSH sector and to initiate the growth and investment of the AYUSH sector.
About AYUSH Ministry:
- Union Minister: Shripad Yesso Naik
Union Health Ministry released guidelines to handle Mental Illness caused by COVID-19
Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare released guidelines to manage mental illness during COVID-19 pandemic situation. This guidelines is mainly released to decrease COVID-19 exposure and protect patients against psychiatric disorders.
- The guidelines were issued based on the recommendation of Indian Council of Medical Research. The guidelines stresses upon the importance of sanitization of establishment.
- It also provides rules that address the needs of COVID-19 patients suffering from stress and COVID-19 induced depression.
About Union Health Ministry:
- Union Minister : Harsh Vardhan
- Minister of State: Ashwini Kumar Choubey
John Magufuli wins President Tanzania’s re-election against his opponent Tundu Lissu
Tanzanian President John Magufuli has officially won a second term, with 84% of the vote president’s re-election. His main opponent, Tundu Lissu, earned 13% of the vote, according to the official count.
- According to the electoral commission, Magufuli received 12.5 million votes in Wednesday’s election – or 85 percent – while his main challenger, Tundu Lissu of the Chadema party, got 1.9 million votes, or 13 percent.
- Currency: Tanzanian shilling
- President: John Magufuli
UP CM Yogi Adityanath launched 10-day campaign to identify people suffering from TB
Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Yogi Adityanath has launched a 10 day campaign to identify people suffering from tuberculosis (TB) in the state.
- Under this campaign, health workers will reach out to 81 lakh people, identify those suffering from TB, screen them and help them avail treatment at no cost.
- The state CM has also inaugurated a special vaccination campaign for children and pregnant women left out due to the COVID-19 situation.
About Uttar Pradesh:
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
Jishnu Barua succeeds Kumar Sanjay Krishna, designated as New Assam Chief Secretary
Jishnu Barua, Senior IAS Officer has been appointed as New Assam Chief Secretary. He has succeeded Kumar Sanjay Krishna. He will remain in office till August, 2022.
- Prior to this appointment, he served as in the Government of India as Joint Secretary, Vigilance and Training from 2014 – 2017.
Union Minister Jitendra Singh inaugurated Mansar Lake Development Plan in J&K
Union Minister for North Eastern Region, Shri Jitendra Singh , inaugurated the Mansar Lake Development Plan in Jammu and Kashmir. The main objective of this development plan is to attract more than 20 lakh tourists every year.
- Under this project, the government will generate 1.15 crores of employment and it is expected to generate Rs 800 crores of revenue.
UNESCO included Panna Tiger Reserve in “World network of Biosphere Reserves”
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has included Panna National Park under its “World network of Biosphere reserves. The National Park is situated on Madhya Pradesh.
- Apart from the Panna National Park, Fuvahmulahand Addu Atoll of Maldives has also been included under the list this year.
- The park was declared as the 22nd Tiger reserve of India in 1993.
About Madhya Pradesh:
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
MoUs & Agreements
HAL Signed Rs 400 Crore Agreement with Tech Mahindra for “Project Parivartan”
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) which is an Indian state-owned aerospace and defence company has signed Rs.400 crore agreement for a tenure of 9 years with Tech Mahindra to implement Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) for sup[porting its “Project Parivartan”
- The project aims to strengthen the government’s ‘Atmanirbhar’ (self-reliant) initiative to enhance indigenous capabilities.
- Chairman & MD – R Madhavan
- Headquarters – Bengaluru, Karanataka
Summits & Conference
BRICS Business Forum held Virtaully to increase trade and investment
The BRICS Business Forum was held virtually through video conferencing. Russia chaired the meet as it is currently holding the rotating leadership of BRICS. The Forum aims to broaden and deepen cooperation among its member countries for equitable and sustainable development.
- Discussions were held on the immpact of COVID-19 pandemic on industrial production and development of women entrepreneurship.
- Member Countries: Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
- Formation: 2006
PVG Menon designated as CEO of Electronics Sector Skill Council of India
The Electronics Sector Skill Council of India (ESSCI) has designated PVG Menon as its chief executive officer. He succeeded N.K. Mohapatra
- Prior to this recruitment, Menon was the President & CEO of VANN Consulting and has over three decades of experience in the development, marketing and management of technology. He was also served as the additional chief secretary for home and political, revenue and disaster management.
- Chairman – Ajai Chowdhry
- Head Office – New Delhi, India
Jio named title sponsor for 2020 Women’s T20 Challenge
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced Jio as the title sponsor for the 2020 edition of the Women’s T20 Challenge. The partnership will also have the support of Reliance Foundation Education and Sports For All (RF ESA).
- The women’s T20 challenge is scheduled to run from November 4-9 in Sharjah.
- President: Sourav Ganguly
- Secretary: Jay Shah
- Headquarters: Mumbai
Tamil Nadu Agriculture Minister R Doraikkannu Passes away
Tamil Nadu Agriculture Minister R Doraikkannu, has passed away due to Covid-19. He was elected as an MLA from Papanasam in Thanjavur district in 2006, 2011, and 2016.
- He also served as a Cabinet minister in 2016, under former Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa’s term.
World Vegan Day 2020 is celebrated on November 01
Every year World Vegan Day 2020 is celebrated on November 01 to motivate people to follow a vegan lifestyle, which is beneficial for animal welfare and the environment. The day was established in 1994.
- People who are vegetarians but do not consume dairy products such as milk, cheese, paneer are called vegans.
International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists is observed on November 02
UN Proclaimed the International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists on November 02. This day is observed to mark the International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against journalists to commemorate the assassination of French journalists in Mali in 2013.
- The Theme for International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists 2020 is Protect Journalists, Protect the Truth