21st October 2020 Current Affairs
The government of India has increased the Lok Sabha, Assembly elections Campaign expenditure limit by 10 percent. The announcement was made by the Law Ministry. The announcement comes just ahead of Bihar Assembly Elections 2020.
- With the current hike, all states that had a Rs 20 lakh expenditure limit will see an upward revision to Rs 22 lakh
- Meanwhile, states that had Rs 28 lakh expenditure limit like Bihar will now see an increase of up to Rs 30.8 lakh.
- Similarly, the expenditure limit for bigger states in parliamentary elections was Rs 70 lakh, which has now been raised to Rs 77 lakh.
- In smaller states, the cap has been raised from Rs 54 lakh to Rs 59 lakh.
About the Ministry of Law and Justice:
- Union Minister: Ravi Shankar Prasad
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan launched CUReD clinical trials website in collaboration with CSIR
Union Minister for Science & Technology launched clinical trials website named CUReD which provides comprehensive information about the numerous COVID-19 clinical trials that CSIR is engaged in partnership with Industry, other government departments and ministries.
- CSIR is also working with the AYUSH Ministry for conducting clinical trials of AYUSH drugs. It has also undertaken safety & efficacy trials of AYUSH prophylactics and therapeutics based on individual plant-based compounds and in combination.
- Head: Shekhar C. Mande
- Founded: 26 September 1942
The India Vietnam Business Forum was conducted between both nations. Both Nations reaffirmed the growing bilateral trade and investment ties between India and Vietnam. Due to COVID19 pandemic the forum was held virtually through video conferencing.
- Trade between India and Vietnam has grown steadily and presently stands at 12.34 billion dollars in 2019-20.
- India’s Exports to Vietnam includes bovine meat, fishery products, corn, steel, pharmaceuticals, cotton, machinery while imports from Vietnam include mobile phones etc.
- Capital: Hanoi
- Currency: Vietnamese dong
Israeli Embassy in India set up first “Water Attache” from January 2021 to provide best practices and technologies
India has collaborated with Israel for strategic partnership in water management. Under this partnership, Israel will have its first separate “Water Attache” in India from January 2021. It will provide the former’s best practices and technologies for advancements in India’s water management and agriculture sectors.
- Israel will also allot an honorary Consul in the North-East with the aim to increase its presence and collaboration in that region.
- Capital: Jerusalem
- Currency: Israeli New Shekel
- Prime Minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik initiated “Mo Bidyut” electricity consumer service portal and mobile application virtually through video conferencing.
- The bilingual online electricity integrated consumer service portal www.mobidyut.com has been developed by Energy Department under 5T initiative.
- The electricity services provided by the Mo Bidyut will be governed and monitored under the “Mo Sarkar”.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
Atma-Nirbhar Bharat Training Center inaugurated in Indore, Madhya Pradesh
The Atma-Nirbhar Bharat Training Center has been inagurated in Indore. The centre was inaugurated by Indore MP Shankar Lalwani.
- The main objective of this centre is that training will be given here to make products from the elements related to daily life like soil, cow dung and other natural materials.The efforts for economic empowerment of women through Atma-Nirbhar Bharat Training Center will get a new direction.
About Madhya Pradesh:
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
Maharashtra emerged as the first country in India to cap prices of masks
Maharashtra State has emerged as the first state in the India to cap the prices of masks. The Prices are fixed by state-appointed committee.
- N95 masks will now be available at Rs 19 to Rs 49, while two-layer and three-layer masks will be available for Rs 3 to 4.
- In the state the mask will be availble at the rate of 70% of the prescribed maximum selling price limit.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Capital: Mumbai
Ranking & Reports
OECD International Migration Outlook report released – India ranked world’s second largest in Migrations
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has released the International Migration Outlook report. India has secured the second position in migrations to OECD Countries. The List is topped by with China 4.3 lakh migrants.
- The Report analyses the recent developments in migration movements and policies in its countries.
- This is the 44th edition of the annual report.
Top 3 Countries:
Haryana topped in the Anemia Mukt Bharat (AMB) Index among all the 29 states in the country. Haryana scored 46.7 points. The ‘Anemia Mukt Bharat’, an initiative of the Union Heath Ministry and UNICEF, has been launched to reduce the prevalence of anemia all over India.
- Haryana is one of 11 states in the country that have achieved National Health Policy targets well before 2020.
- The institutional deliveries have increased to 93.7 per cent and it was possible due to 24-hours delivery facilities in the state.
- As per the reports, the state had achieved 93 per cent of immunization in 2019-20.
About Union Health Ministry:
- Union Minister: Harsh Vardhan
- Minister of State: Ashwini Kumar Choubey
CSE Report 2020 Released –New pollution control standards adopted by only 33 Power Plants in the Country
Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) is a not-for-profit public interest research and advocacy organization released a report titled “meeting emission norms working paper on penalty and incentive mechanism for coal-based power plants”. As per the report, Only 33 power plants have adopted to the new pollution control standards so far.
- Union Ministry of environment, forest and climate change introduced strict environmental standards for coal based thermal power plants in 2015.
- According to the ministry, all coal plants in the country must had to follow the revised standard by 2017.
- As several coal-based power plants did not adapt to the revised standard the deadline was pushed to 2022.
- The report mentioned that the revised deadline will not be met by at least 65% age of installed coal- based power plants.
Paytm in collaborated with Various Credit Card Issuers to launch 2 Million Co-branded Credit Cards for Indian Consumers
Paytm which is an Indian e-commerce payment system and financial technology company in collaborated with Various Credit Card issuers will unveil 2 million co-branded credit cards for customers in India in the next 12-18 months.
- These co-branded credit cards will have multiple features like one-touch services, including changing pin security pin number, updating address, blocking card if the case of fraud prevention.
- Headquarters: Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- President: Amit Nayyar
SEBI formed a Market Data Advisory Committee for Market Data Sharing headed by Madhabi Puri Buch
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) which is the regulator of the securities and commodity market in India has formed a market data advisory committee (MDAC), a standing panel. This panel will headed by Madhabi Puri Buch.
- This panel will recommend appropriate policy for access to securities market data, identify segment wise data perimeters, data needs and gaps, recommend data privacy and data access regulations applicable to market data.
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
Summit & Conference
India and Indonesia will conduct the fifth joint working group on coal. This meeting will be held virtually through video conferencing. The meeting will focus on latest updates related to Indian coal policy reforms, coking coal exploration and commercial coal mining in India and potential of business cooperation on coal post coronavirus situation.
- The meeting will explore more areas of business opportunities in the coal sector. The deliberations will guide the coal business between the two countries
- Indonesia is a major coal producer. In 2019 Indonesia exported 450 8.8 million tons of coal.
- President: Joko Widodo
- Capital: Jakarta
Science & Technology
Sixth India International Science Festival (IISF) 2020 will be conducted from 22ndto 25th December 2020. The event will be held virtually through Video Conferencing. The objective of this festival is to encourage students to study and work in the science field.
- This India International Science Festival was started in 2015
- Last year IISF was held in Kolkata, West Bengal
- The goal of the Science festivity is to help youth, develop 21st century skills, with a focus on scientific knowledge, creativity, critical thinking, problem-solving.
Nokia & NASA to set first ever 4G cellular network on the moon
Nokia Oyj has been chosen by NASA to build the first ever cellular network on the moon. This is the first-ever 4G mobile network on Earth’s natural satellite
- The company’s U.S. industrial research arm, Bell Labs, is offering up its equipment to NASA to help build out the lunar network, with the aim of launching it in late 2022.
- NASA has awarded USD 14.1 Million to Nokia for the project.
Union Minister for Defence, Shri Rajnath Singh released New DRDO Procurement Manual 2020. The minister unveiled this with an aim to boost Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) to do Research and Development.Under this manual, the threshold limit for advance payment has been increased.
- At the same time, the performance security and bid security up to Rs 10 lakhs has been exempted.
- The manual has been introduced in order to conceal the price discovery of market forces.
- Earlier revision of the procurement manual of DRDO was done in 2016.
CSK Captain MS Dhoni becomes first player to play 200 games in IPL
Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the first-ever player to participate in 200 Indian Premier League (IPL) matches. He will achieve the milestone against Rajasthan Royals.
- The former India captain had first joined CSK in 2008. During the two-year ban period, in 2016 and 2017, Dhoni played for Rising Pune Supergiant (RPS). Dhoni has scored 4568 runs in IPL. Out of these, he has scored 3994 runs for CSK.
Veteran Sports Journalist and Cricket Commentator Kishore Bhimani Passed away. He served as the cricket commentator and also the president of the Calcutta Sports Journalist Club from 1978 to 1980.
- He also worked as an editor of the sports page in “The Statesman”. His book “The Accidental Godman” was published by Manjul Publishing House PVt.Lts in 2012.
Every year country Police Commemoration Day is celebrated on October 21. The objective for observing this day is to honour the martyrs who sacrifice their lives in the service of the nation.
- This day pays homage to the 10 policemen who were killed in an ambush by Chinese troops in 1959 in Ladakh’s Hot Spring area.
- Since the year 2012, the Police Commemoration Day Parade is being held at the National level at the Police Memorial, Chanakyapuri.
Every year World Iodine Deficiency Day is observed on October 21. Iodine deficiency can lead to a variety of health and developmental consequences known as iodine deficiency disorders (IDDs). The objective of this day is to spread awareness about iodine deficiency disorders diseases.
- The aim of this day is make people aware about Iodine Deficiency Disorder and why Iodine so important for the human body.