24th October 2020 Current Affairs
PM Modi unveils India’s largest cardiac hospital in Ahmedabad Virtually
Prime Minsiter of India Shri, Narendra Modi inaugurated India’s biggest cardiac hospital at U.N. Mehta Institute of Cardiology and Research Center and launched a Mobile Application for tele-cardiology at Civil Hospital campus in Ahmedabad.
- PM also inaugurated world’s longest temple ropeway at Junagadh in Girnar. This will attract more tourists and pilgrims to this historical place which will boost employment opportunities. This ropeway is of 2.3 kilo meters length and 900 meters height
Earth Science Ministry launches Flash Flood Guidance services for South Asian countries To Provide Alerts in Advance
Ministry of Earth Science Secretary, Dr. M. Rajeevan dedicated Flash Flood Guidance services, first of its kind for South Asian countries namely India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
- The system, which is the first of its kind for South Asian countries, will be jointly shared by India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Bhutan.
- The system, which has been entrusted to India by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), will warn of threats six hours in advance and of risks 24 hours in advance.
PM Modi initiates ‘Kisan Suryodaya Yojana’ in Gujarat for farmers
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Kisan Suryoday Yojana in Gujarat. The scheme aims to provide day time power supply for irrigation.
- Under the scheme, the farmers are to be availed with power supply between 5 AM and 9 PM. In order to implement the scheme, the State Government of Gujarat has allocated budget of Rs 3,500 crores.
- The farmers of 1055 villages of 3 districts will get electricity during the day time for irrigation.
Central Government transfers Rs. 6,000 crore to 16 states & 2 UTs to address shortfall in GST revenue
Finance Ministry transferred transferred Rs 6,000 crore as the first tranche to 16 states and two union territories under special borrowing window.
- They are Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Meghalaya, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Delhi and Jammu and Kashmir.
- The interest rate has been fixed at 5.19 per cent. The tenor of borrowing will be broadly in the range of 3 to 5 years.
About Finance Ministry:
- Union Minister: Nirmala Sitharaman
- Minister of State: Anurag Singh Thakur
Saad El-Din Hariri appointed as the Lebanon Prime Minister for the third time
Saad El-Din Hariri appointed as the Lebanon Prime Minister. He succeeded Mustapha Adib. He won 65 parliamentary votes.
- In 2009, He was first elected as the Prime Minister of the country and in 2019 he was selected as PM for second time.
- Capital: Beirut
- Currency: Lebanese pound
Karnataka State Government gives nod to launch Bhagyalakshmi scheme to give financial security of Girl Child
The Karnataka state cabinet approved the implemention of the Bhagyalakshmi scheme, that aims to provide financial security to girl child of BPL families, through Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana of the postal department instead of LIC.
- Under this scheme, a girl child belonging to below poverty line (BPL) families is eligible to receive Rs one lakh after completing 18 years of age.
- The scheme has launched with an objective to eleavte the status of a girl child in the family and society.
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yediyurappa
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
Joginder War Memorial constructed in Arunachal Pradesh
Arunachal Pradesh constructed a Joginder war memorial in Arunachal Pradesh. Joginder Singh of 1st Battalion the Sikh Regt received the highest gallantry award, ‘Param Vir Chakra’ in the Eastern Theatre during the 1962 Sino- India War.
- Joginder Singh daughter Kulwant Kaur inaugurated the War Memorial in the presence of Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu.
About Arunachal Pradesh:
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief minister: Pema Khandu
Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh Radha Krishna Mathur launches 100-day campaign to give potable water supply
Ladakh Lieutenant Governor shri Radha Krishna Mathur initiated the 100-day campaign to give potable water supply to schools and Anganwadi centres in Ladakh.
- He also inaugurated drinking water quality testing labs under the Jal Jeevan Mission Har Ghar Jal program and the field test kits (FTKs) training to Panchayats for drinking water quality testing.
Summits & Conference
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has released the Human Mobility, Shared Opportunities: A Review of the 2009 Human Development Report and the Way Ahead”.
- This report gives the idea about how governments can shape migration to benefit development and boost recovery.
- Administrator: Achim Steiner
- Headquarters: New York, USA
Governing Body of ILO appointed Apurva Chandra as the Chairperson
Apurva Chandra appointed as the Chairperson of the Governing body of International Labour Organisation (ILO) which is a United Nations agency whose mandate is to advance social and economic justice through setting international labour standards.
- He is currently served as the Secretary of Labour and Employment which is a department under Ministry of Labour and Employment.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Director-General: Guy Ryder
Mastercard collaborated with Atlantis to spread Digital First Program in Country
Mastercard which is an American multinational financial services corporation has cooperated with Atlantis to spread the Digital First Program in India.
- They collaborated with an objective to give the users of mastercard, that is a technology solution which enables them to enjoy a first class digital banking experience.
- Founder & CEO: Gaurav S
- Headquarters: Singapore
- Headquarters: New York, USA
- President: Michael Miebach
Science & Technology
IIT Kharagpur in collabrated with TCS to develop Develop Novel Industry 4.0 Technology
IIT Kharagpur which is a is a public technical and research university established by the government of India has developed novel Industry 4.0 technology for remotely controlled factory operations and real-time quality correction during industrial production, in collaborated with TCS to set a new trend in India’s advanced manufacturing sector.
- The Objective of this initiative is to make possible for industrial houses to achieve standardised quality goals throughout the production process and reduce rejection hence lowering the cost of production.
Indian Navy’s anti-ship missile is launched by its Missile Corvette INS Prabal with deadly accuracy at maximum range and sinking the target ship.
- The anti-ship missile, an Uran, was launched from INS Prabal to knock off the target warship in the Arabian Sea.
- INS Prabal is deployed in the Arabian Sea along with a raft of warships, including aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, and other assets of the navy.
About Indian Navy:
- Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff: Vice Admiral M. S. Pawar
- Chief of the Naval Staff: Admiral Karambir Singh
- Founded: 26 January 1950
UN Day is celebrated on October 24
United Nations Day is observed on October 24. This is the historic day when the United Nations officially came into being after the ratification of the Charter by the world’s biggest countries. this year marks the 75th anniversary of UN Day.
- The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization that aims to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation, and be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations.
- Headquarters – New York, USA
- Secretary-General – Mr Antonio Guterres
World Polio Day is observed on October 24
Every year World Polio Day is observed on October 24. This day is observed with an objective to increase awareness for polio vaccination and eradication of polio. This day is proclaimed by Rotary International to commemorate the birth of Jonas Salk, who led the first team to develop a vaccine against poliomyelitis.
- The Theme for 2020 World Polio Day is A win against polio is a win for global health
World Development Information Day – October 24
World Development Information Day is celebrated worldwide on October 24. This day observed is to give awareness to people about the world to development problems and the need to strengthen international cooperation to solve them.
- The theme for World Development Information 2020 is Information and Communications Technologies — New Solutions to Development Challenges