The Lower House (Lok Sabha) of the Indian Parliament has passed the Major Ports Authorities Bill. The Bill seeks to provide for regulation, operation and planning of major ports in the country and provide greater autonomy to these ports.
- The Bill will replace Major Port Trusts Act, 1963.
- The legislation provides for the creation of a Board of Major Port Authority for each major port. These Boards will replace the existing Port Trusts.
About Shipping Ministry:
- Minister of State: Mansukh L. Mandaviya
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has released the ‘Age -Appropriate Fitness Protocols’ on the First anniversary of Fit India Movement. This Occasion is held via online mode due to COVID19.
- PM Modi held interactions with cricketer Virat Kohli, actor Milind Soman, footballer Afshan Ashiq among others who shared their fitness experiences with him.
- Currently, many countries such as Australia, Germany, UK, USA are running fitness campaigns on a large scale.
About Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports:
- Ministers of State: Kiren Rijiju
The 51st Edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) is scheduled to be conducted from 16th to 24th January, next year in Goa. Previously it was planned to be held from 20th November to 28th November, this year. But due to coronavirus pandemic the IFFI got postponed.
- The festival will be conducted in a Virtual and Physical format.
- The International Film Festival of India, founded in 1952, is one of the most significant film festivals in Asia.
- Chief Minister: Pramod Sawant
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Capital: Panaji
National Webinar on Internationalisation of Higher Education, Conducted by DHE & UGC under Shiksha Parv
Department of Higher Education and University Grants Commission have conducted a National Webinar on ‘Internationalisation of Higher Education’ under Shiksha Parv initiative. This Webinar was joined by academia, international organisations, industry and Higher Education Institutions.
- Recently, Indian Government has launched National Education Policy-2020 to promote education amongst India’s people.
- The policy covers elementary education to colleges in both rural and urban India.
About Ministry of Education:
- Union Minister: Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
- Minister of State: Dhotre Sanjay Shamrao
46th Foundation Day was celebrated by Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB)
46th Year of Establishment of Central Pollution Control Board celebrated on September 23, 2020. For this occasion a webinar was organized at Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change to present CPCB’s transformative goals for 2030 and discuss CPCB’s role in meeting India’s Environmental Objectives and Innovative Pollution Control Strategies.
The Central Pollution Control Board was established on September 23, 1974 under The Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 as a technical arm of Central Government for environmental research, monitoring, regulation and enforcement in the country.
Indian Railway sets Target to electrify all of broad gauge routes by 2023
Indian Railway has planned to electrify of broad gauge routes. The Board targets 100% electrification of its all broad gauge routes by 2023.
- Until now, 63 per cent broad gauge lines have already been electrified out of a total 63,631 route kilometers as on 1st of April this year.
About Indian Railways:
- Railway Minister: Piyush Goyal
- Founded: 16 April 1853
- Headquarters: New Delhi
Ex Mali Defence Minister of Mali Bah Ndaw appointed as the President of the Country
Bah Ndaw, who is the former Defence Minister of Mali has been appointed as the President of the country. He will take the charge of the office with effect from 25 September 2020.
- Bah Ndaw will be in power for 18 months before holding elections and returning Mali to civilian rule. Assimi Goita, who is the leader of the National Committee for the Salvation of the People (CNSP) which overthrew current President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita, was appointed vice president.
- Capital: Bamako
- Currency: West African CFA franc.
Uttarakhand State Govt signs MoU with ITBP to boost adventure tourism at Tehri Lake
The State Government of Uttar Pradesh has planned to boost the tourism in Tehri Lake. So the s Uttarakhand Tourism Development Board has Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) to advance sports activities in Tehri Lake.
- Under this MoU the the Rajiv Gandhi Adventure Sports Academy at Tehri Lake will now be administered and managed by ITBP for a period of 20 years.
- Various Sports activities will be performed by ITBP for development of tourism and water sports in Tehri Dam.
- Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat
- Governor: Baby Rani Maurya
Ranking & Index
Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi, Google CEO Sundar Pichai has been listed in Time Magazine’s 100 most influential people of 2020 list. This is the fourth time for PM Modi to got listed in Time Magazine’s 100 most influential people list.
- Professor Ravindra Gupta (Pioneer) who is a Professor of Clinical Microbiology and has worked for the cure of HIV, Ayushmann Khurrana (Bollywood Actor) and Bilkis, who emerged as the face of the Shaheen Bagh protests are also take place in Time Magazine’s 100 most influential people of 2020 list
About Time Magazine:
- Editor: Edward Felsenthal
- Country: United States
Ram Nath Kovind, President of India conferred the National Service Scheme Awards (NSS) for the year 2018-19 in 3 categories. This Award function was held through online due to coronavirus situation.
- The NSS Award was presented to 42 awardees in three different categories.
- The three categories are University, NSS Units and their Programme Officers and NSS Volunteers.
- Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju attended the ceremony from Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi
About Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports:
- Ministers of State: Kiren Rijiju
Indian Teenager Khushi Chindaliya, became the Regional Ambassador for India by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) – Tunza Eco-Generation. She is from Surat, Gujarat.
- Khushi Chindaliya will raise awareness about climate change and the importance of environmental conservation and the need to safeguard environmental treasures.
About UNEP Programme:
- Headquarters location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Head: Inger Andersen
- Director: Inger Anderse
Reserve Bank of India appoints AK Das as new administrator of PMC Bank
Reserve Bank of India has appointed AK Das as the new administrator of the Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative (PMC) Bank. He is a ex-general manager at Union Bank of India. He served as ex-general manager at Union Bank of India. He succeeded JB Bhoria who has stepped down from the bank due to health reasons.
- Reserve Bank of India has superseded the PMC Bank after irregular financial activities in the bank for protecting the interest of the depositors and to secure proper management of the Bank.
- Founded: 1984
- Headquarters: Mumbai
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) is a part of the United Nations Secretariat dealing with trade, investment, and development issues forecasted the India’s GDP Growth Rate at -5.9% per cent for the year 2020 and 3.9 per cent in 2021.
- The Predicted report was made in UNCTAD’s Trade and Development Report 2020.
- Headquarters location: Geneva, Switzerland
- Head: Mukhisa Kituyi
- Founder: United Nations General Assembly
- Founded: 30 December 1964
Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi and Prime Minister of Sri Lanka Mr. Mahinda Rajapaksa of Sri Lanka will conduct a Bilateral Summit on 26 September 2020. Due to COVID19 pandemic the summit will held virtually.
- The meeting will be conducted two days after the SAARC foreign ministers’ forum on September 24
About Sri Lanka:
- Capitals: Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Currency: Sri Lankan rupee
- President: Gotabaya Rajapaksa
Union Minister Health and Family Welfare Harsh Vardhan addressed at the Ministers of Member Nations of WHO (World Health Organization), Heads and Representatives of UN Agencies through virtual mode.
- According Union Minister India sets a goal to end tuberculosis by 2025. Five years ahead of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Despite the progress made over the last decade, TB remains the leading infectious killer disease worldwide
- President: Tijjani Muhammad-Bande
- Headquarters: New York, United States
Suresh Angadi Minister of State for Railways passes away
Union Minister of State for Railways Suresh Angadi passed away due to coronavirus. He was appointed as a minister of state in the Union Council of ministers in May 2019.
- Suresh Angadi had served as a member of parliament since 2004 and appointed as minister of state for railways from 2019 until he died in 2020.
Every year World Maritime Day was observed on last week of September on Thursday. Due to corona virus pandemic the day is celebrated through online mode.
- This day highlights the importance of maritime industry and importance of shipping safety, marine environment and maritime security.
- The theme of World Maritime Day 2020 is “Sustainable shipping for a sustainable planet.”
About International Maritime Organization:
- Headquarters location: London, United Kingdom
- Founder: United Nations
- Founded: 17 March 1948
- Parent organization: United Nations Economic and Social Council