30th October 2020 Current Affairs
Indian Railways initiates ‘Meri Saheli’ initiatives for safety of Female passengers
Indian Railways has launched Meri Saheli initiatives for the safety of Female passengers. Each Railway Division has formed a team which visits the lady passengers to ensure they are safe and secured. The Hubballi Division has introduced the Meri Saheli initiative in four pairs of trains initially.
- The Senior Divisional Security Commissioner of Railway Protection Force in the Hubballi Division in Karnataka.
Union Power Ministry & NITI Aayog launched Electricity Access in India and Benchmarking Distribution Utilities Report
Union Power Ministry, NITI Aayog, Rockefeller Foundation and Smart Power India launched the ‘Electricity Access in India and Benchmarking Distribution Utilities’ report.
- As per the report, 92 per cent of customers reported the overall availability of electricity infrastructure within 50 metres of their premises.
- The hours of supply have improved significantly to nearly 17 hours per day.
- Nearly 85% of customers reported to have a metered electricity connection.
- Access to electricity is observed in 83% of household customers.
- The report is based on a primary survey conducted across ten states, representing about 65 per cent of the total rural population of India and with a sample size of more than 25 thousand, including households, commercial enterprises and institutions.
About Power Ministry:
- Union Minister: Raj Kumar Singh
Cabinet approves Mechanism for Procurement of Ethanol
The Union Cabinet gave nod to the Mechanism for the public sector oil companies to procure ethanol.
- With this approval, the prices of ethanol obtained from sugarcane based raw material has been increased for the forth coming sugar cane season. This is between December 2020 and November 2021.
- Also, the prices of ethanol obtained from C heavy molasses, B heavy molasses have been increased.
- The increase in price was nearly Rs 2 to 3 per litre.
Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina gives highest civilian award
Bangladesh PM conferred ‘Swadhinata Puraskar 2020’ which is the country’s highest civilian award on eight distinguished persons and an educational institute on Thursday. The award function was organised in Dhaka.
- In Medical science field, the award was conferred on Professor Dr Md Obaidul Kabir Chowdhury and Prof Dr AKMA Muktadir.
- Kalipada Das and actress Ferdousi Mazumdar were honoured in the field of culture.
- Currency: Bangladeshi taka
- Capital: Dhaka
India sponsors USD 1 billion credit line to central Asian countries for priority projects
India sponsored to give USD 1 billion line of credit for priority developmental projects in central Asian countries. Additionally India further expands cooperation with the resource-rich region including confrontation of the common challenges of terrorism and extremism.
- This decision was taken on the 2nd meeting of the India-Central Asia Dialogue was held in the digital video-conference format. Indian side was represented by External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar.
Kolkata International Film Festival to be held on January 2021
Kolkata International Film Festival (KIFF) has been planned to schedule in January 2021 by the state government.
- The Festival was earlier schedule from November 5, 2020 but the dignitaries and global film fraternity suggested the state government to postpone it to January.
About West Bengal:
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar
- Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
Prime Minister Narendra Modi initiated Arogya Van in Gujarat
Prime Minister of India shri.Narendra Modi inaugurated Arogya Van at Kevadia in Narmada district of Gujarat.
- Arogya Van is set up on 17 acres of land in Kevadia for spreading awareness on the Yoga, Ayurveda and Meditation. Arogya Van has 380 species of plants and trees with rich medicinal values.
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani and Governor Acharya Devvrat were also present on the occasion.
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani Trending
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- Capital: Gandhinagar
Kerala emerges as the first Indian state to fix floor price for vegetables
Kerala emerged as the first state of India to fix the floor price for vegetables, to provide relief and support to farmers. This was also the first such initiative by the Indian state which would provide relief and support to farmers
- The floor price would be 20 per cent above the production cost of the vegetables. The scheme would come into effect from November 1.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
State Government of Tamil Nadu Government unveils Young Advocates Welfare Fund
Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu , Edappadi Palaniswamy launched the Young Advocates Welfare Fund for young lawyers.
- Under this inistiative, the young lawyers who has just come out of law colleges in the state would get a monthly financial assistance of Rs 3000 per month each for two years.
About Tamil Nadu:
- Chief minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Capital: Chennai
Submits & Conference
10th India-UK Economic & Financial Dialogue on Global Responses to coronavirus held Virtually
10th India-UK Economic & Financial Dialogue on Global Responses to coronavirus held Virtually through Video Conferencing. Indian Side was represented by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- According to the Finance Ministry, the trade between the two countries has more than doubled since the first EFD (eFunds corporation) in 2007, with bilateral investment supporting over half a million jobs across both countries.
- Prime minister: Boris Johnson
- Capital: London
NABARD approves loan amounts to Rs. 8504.30 lakh under RIDF scheme to Goa
NABARD has sanctioned loans worth ₹ 8504.30 lakh under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) to the Government of Goa for various Social Infrastructure Projects in the State.
- With this, NABARD achieved 100% of the target fixed for sanction to the State Government during 2020-21.
- RIDF is launched with an objective of giving low cost support to State Governments and State owned Corporations for quick completion of projects related to medium and minor irrigation, soil conservation and others forms of rural infrastructure.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Capital: Panaji
MoUs & Agreements
Union Cabinet approved MoU between India and Cambodia on cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine
Union cabinet approve MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) between India and Cambodia on cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine.
- This MoU boosts cooperation between the two countries through joint initiatives and technology development n the health sector. It will strengthen bilateral ties between India and Cambodia.
- Capital: Phnom Penh
- Currency: Cambodian riel
Rankings & Reports
Doing Business in India Report, 2020 released by UK India Business Council
UK India Business Council released Doing Business in India Report, 2020. This year the report has been prepared based on an in-depth survey of 106 UK firms that are operating in India. These firms belonged to services, manufacturing And Higher Education sector.
- According to the report, atma nirbhar Bharat mission as an opportunity to do more business in India
- The report states that 66% of the surveyed organisations believed that the ease of doing business in India is increasing.
14th Asian Film Awards – Gully Boy won award in Best Original Score
The 14th edition of Asian Film Awards (“AFA14”) was organized by the Asian Film Awards Academy. Indian Movie Gully Boy won the award for the Best Original Score at the event. in Gully Boy, Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt played leading roles.
- Best Director : Wang Xiaoshuai for So Long, My Son (China)
- Best Actor : Lee Byung-hun – The Man Standing Next (South Korea)
- Best Actress : Zhou Dongyu – Better Days (China)
- Best Film : Parasite (South Korea)
- Best Supporting Actor : Ryo Kase – To the Ends of the Earth
- Best Supporting Actress : Ko Shu-chin – A Sun
- Best Screenplay: Bong Joon-ho, Han Jin-won – Parasite
- Best Editing : Yang Jin-mo – Parasite
- Best Original Music : Karsh Kale, The Salvage Audio Collective – Gully Boy
- Best New Director : Hikari – 37 Seconds
- Best Newcomer :Jackson Yee – Better Days
- Best Cinematography :Dong Jinsong – The Wild Goose Lake
- Best Costume Designer :Pacharin Surawatanapongs– Happy Old Year
- Best Production Design:Ha-jun Lee – Parasite
- Best Visual Effects: Tomi Kijo, Renovatio Pictures – Detention
- Best Sound: Yoshifumi Kureishi – Listen to the Universe
Indian Army invents messaging application ‘Secure Application for Internet’
Indian Army has developed a simple messaging application named the Secure Application for Internet (SAI). The application supports end to end secure voice, text and video calling services for Android platform over the internet.
- The model is similar to commercially available messaging applications like Whatsapp, Telegram, SAMVAD and GIMS and utilises end to end encryption messaging protocol
About Indian Army:
- Founded: April 1, 1895, India
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Chief of Defence Staff (CDS): General Bipin Rawat
International Internet Day is celebrated on 29 October
Every Year, International Internet Day is celebrated on October 29. The first International Internet Day was celebrated on October 29, 2005. This day is celebrated to commemorate a momentous day in the history of telecommunications and technology.
- The International Internet Day marks the sending of the first electronic message which was transferred from one computer to another in 1969