31st October 2020 Current Affairs
India’s first seaplane service inaugurated by Prime Minister Modi
Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated country’s first seaplane service between the Statue of Unity site at Kevadiya Colony to the Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad, to mark the 145th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- The prime minister also inaugurated Ekta Mall, an emporium spread over 35,000 square feet, where handicrafts from all over the country will be up for sale.
- He also participated in the Rashtriya Ekta Divas Parade.
Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla to lead 206th Session of Governing Council of the Inter-Parliamentary Union
Indian Parliamentary Delegation led by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla on the 206th Session of Governing Council of the Inter-Parliamentary Union which will be held on 1st to 4th November, 2020. The IPU is to be held virtually through video conferencing.
- The Inter-Parliamentary Union is an international organization of national parliaments. Its primary purpose is to promote democratic governance, accountability, and cooperation among its members.
- Members: 179 Countries
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
Union Cabinet approved Rs 10,211 crore project to improve dams in India under dam rehabilitation and improvement project
Union Cabinet of Indian has approved Rs 10,211 crore under dam rehabilitation and improvement project (DRIP) phase II and phase III. it will be implemented over a period of 10 years. The project will have the financial assistance of the World Bank and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.
- The scheme conceive rehabilitation of 736 existing dams across India in two phases, each of six-years duration, with two years overlapping from April 2021 to March 2031.
15th Finance Commission to submit its report to President Ran Nath Kovind on November 09
The Fifteenth Finance Commission which is headed by NK Singh will submit its report to President Ram Nath Kovind on November 9, 2020.
- The Fifteenth Finance Commission was constituted by the President with N. K. Singh as its Chairman. The other members of the Commission include Ajay Narayan Jha, Prof. Anoop Singh, Dr Ashok Lahiri and Dr Ramesh Chand.
- Earlier, this Finance Commission submitted its Interim report for the financial year 2020-21 (FY21) in November 2019
Draft Model Act on Land Titles released by NITI Aayog to ease the process of land acquisition
NITI Aayog which is a policy think tank of the Government of India, has released the Draft Model Act on Land Titles to reduce litigations. It will also help improve land acquisitions.
- The Draft Act state that is a person feels that he is unfairly treated in the Record of Titles notified under Section 11 may file an objection in Register Office within three years from the date of notification.
- This Act will boost the State Governments to establish, administer and manage system of title registration of immovable properties.
NITI Aayog and QCI Launched National Program and Project Management Policy Framework.
NITI Aayog and Quality Council of India launched the ‘National Program and Project Management Policy Framework’ (NPMPF). The framework aims to bring radical reforms in the way infrastructure projects are executed in India.
- Union Minister Nitin Gadkari unveiled the Indian Infrastructure Body of Knowledge (InBoK) on the occasion.
About NITI Aayog:
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi
- CEO: Amitabh Kant
India-Mexico 8th Joint Commission Meeting held virtually
India and Mexico recently held the eighth Joint Commission Meeting Virtually due to COVID19 pandemic. India was represented by Foreign Minister S Jaishankar. They agreed to add new momentum to the relations between the countries in the areas of science and technology, health, trade and commerce, energy, space.
- The Countries agreed to strengthen their Privileged Partnership. The bilateral cooperation includes areas such as trade, agriculture, investment, health and education.
- President: Andrés Manuel Lopez Obrador
- Capital: Mexico City
Kerala emerges as the best governed the state in Public Affairs Index
Public Affairs Index released by Public Affairs Centre. As per the Index, Kerala was emerged as the best governed the state. This Index was released by committee headed by a former Indian Space Research Organisation chairman Kasturirangan.
- Kerala is followed by Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. While Uttar Pradesh with the bottom most ranking.
- In the small state category Goa topped the list followed by Meghalaya and Himachal Pradesh.
IndusInd Bank becomes first bank to go live on Reserve Bank of India’s ‘Account Aggregator Framework’
IndusInd Bank made a announcement that that it has gone live as a ‘Financial Information Provider’ (FIP) under the new ‘Account Aggregator Framework’ of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), making it the first bank in the country to do so.
- The Account Aggregator framework of RBI will enable customers to avail benefits like viewing statements of their accounts, track deposits, plan investments and avail credit cards on a single window.
About IndusInd Bank:
- MD & CEO: Sumant Kathpalia
- Headquarters – Mumbai,Maharashtra
MoUs & Agreements
ICSSR signs Agreement with European Commission to boost the scientific cooperation
Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) and European Commission signed agreement to further enhance the scientific cooperation. Under this Agreement, top Indian Social Scientist, who is supported by ICSSR, will be able to perform research activities in collaboration with European researchers who are supported by the European Research Council.
- The pact was virtually signed by Member Secretary of ICSSR, Virendra Kumar Malhotra and Ambassador of European Union to India, Ugo Astuto.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: Prof. Bhushan Patwardhan
Rankings & Reports
Annual Status of Education Report (ASER) 2020 for Rural India Released – Kerala topped the list with 94.3 percent children had smartphones access
Report titled Annual Status of Education Report (ASER) 2020 for Rural India which is released by Pratham Education Foundation. According to the survey, Kerala topped the list with 94.3 percent children had smartphones access.
- Nearly, around 20 percent of children in rural areas had no access to textbooks.
- On the other hand the survey highlighted, around one in three rural children had not involved in learning activity at all.
Global Finances Safest Banks 2020 Ranking Released – DBS Bank, Singapore topped the list
29th annual ranking of World’s Safest Banks released by Global Finances. According to the report, DBS Bank, Singapore is recognized as the Safest Bank in Asia for 12th consecutive year.
- KfW, Germany secured the first place in World’s Safest Banks 2020 List , KfW Germany followed by Zuercher Kantonalbank, Switzerland and BNG Bank, Netherland.
- State Bank of India is the safest bank in India as per Global Finances.
Air launched version of BrahMos missile successfully tested by IAF
The Indian Air Force which is the air arm of the Indian Armed Forces has successfully test fired an air-launched version of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile. The BrahMos supersonic cruise missile was test-fired from a Sukhoi fighter aircraft in the Bay of Bengal.
- The Indian Air Force had successfully test-fired the air-launched version of the BrahMos missile previously in May 2019.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 8 October 1932, India
Malabar Exercise 2020 – India, Japan, US and Australia to be participated
Malabar Exercise is a quadrilateral naval exercise involving the United States, Japan, Australia, and India as permanent partners. This year the exercise is to be held in Bay of Bengal between November 3, 2020 and November 6, 2020.
- The navies of India, Japan, US and Australia are to participate in the exercise. The second phase of the exercise is to be held between November 17, 2020 and November 20, 2020.
- Originally this exercise begun in 1992 as a bilateral exercise between India and the United States,
World Cities Day is celebrated on 31 October
Every year World Cities Day is celebrated on 31 October. The general theme of World Cities Day is Better City, Better Life. This day was first celebrated on 31 October 2014 in Shanghai, China. The main objective of this day is to promote the international community’s interest in global urbanization, cooperation among countries.
- World Cities Day 2020 Theme is valuing our communities and cities.
National Unity Day is observed on 31 October
To remember the birth anniversary of the Iron Man of India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, India celebrated National Unity Day is observed on 31 October. The Day first celebrated on 2014.
- He is the first Home Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of India. He is often referred to as the Father of the Indian Constitution and was a key member of the Constituent Assembly.
Former Gujarat chief minister Keshubhai Patel Dies
Ex Chief Minister of Gujarat, Keshubhai Patel passed away. Keshubhai Patel was Gujarat chief minister in 1995 and again during 1998-2001 before Narendra Modi succeeded him as Gujarat chief minister.
- Keshubhai Patel was a member of the Gujarat Legislative Assembly six times.